Find a tree removal service near you
Answer a few questions
about your tree job.
Within seconds, get matched
Compare quotes and choose the
FEATURED AND TRUSTED BY:
Sandy Springs Tree Removal and Ordinance
Last Updated: 12 November 2020
Sandy Springs ordinance outlines tree removal guidelines in the city of Sandy Springs.
Yes, you do need a permit to remove trees within the city.
This article gives a clear understanding of how to go about the tree removal process and what trees require a permit. Find out more by reading through the Sandy Springs city codes.
Can I remove any public tree without a permit in the city of Sandy Springs?
No. Any tree removal activity done in the city of Sandy Springs must be approved first before removal.
Do I need a permit to remove a tree in Sandy Springs?
Yes. Depending on the tree you want to remove, you need to get one. Get clarity from the city manager on the trees that need to be approved before removal.
How much does a tree removal permit cost in the City of Sunday Springs?
There is no cost attached to a tree removal permit. However, the only cost associated is in cases where you require canopy mitigation requirements. This applies when one is removing a landmark tree or in cases where tree replacement is needed to sustain canopy coverage.
When do I need a permit to remove my trees in Sunday Springs?
Different tree species require the owner to obtain a written permit. They include:
- Any hardwood or pine tree 18 inches in diameter at breast height or larger
- A Dogwood or Redbud 10 inches in diameter at breast height or larger
- Any tree located within Chattahoochee River Corridor or a Steam Buffer.
When is a tree removal permit not required in Sunday Springs?
The following trees growing on private property can be removed without a permit:
- Any hardwood or pine tree less than 18 inches in diameter at breast height
- Any Dogwood or Redbud tree less than 10 inches in diameter at breast height
- Any tree not located in a Steam Buffer
- Any tree growing in property, not in the River Corridor
Any tree that is dead, dying or hazardous. It is essential to notify the city arborist and present appropriate evidence before removing the tree.
Who can apply for a tree removal permit in the city of Sandy Springs?
Any homeowner, property owner, or commercial tree removal company can apply to get a tree removal permit.
Tree removal permit application in Sandy Spring City
When applying for a tree removal permit, there is no application form to be filled. You are to present a request that includes documentation showing the location, species and approximate size of the tree. Include photos of the tree in the documentation.
Note that no fee is charged for a removal permit. The only cost you might incur is the canopy recompense requirements that are assessed if your site is under the minimum canopy requirements. The minimum canopy requirements are summarized below:
- Residential sites to maintain a canopy coverage of 35 per cent made up of protected trees.
- Nonresidential properties to maintain canopy coverage of up to 40 per cent.
What are Landmark trees in the city of Sandy Springs?
The city of Sandy Springs identities the following trees as landmark trees:
- Any hardwood tree 27 inches in diameter at breast height or larger
- Any pine tree 30 inches in diameter at breast height or larger
- Any Dogwood or Redbud tree 10 inches in diameter at breast height or larger
If a landmark tree is removed, it is to be replaced at 150 per cent of the lost canopy. This is to ensure enough canopy coverage for future purposes. The 150 per cent canopy compensation is calculated on a square foot basis.
How is canopy coverage calculated in the city of Sandy Springs?
The necessary canopy coverage calculations that you need to know are:
- Any protected trees that are 18 inches in diameter at breast height or larger, count towards 1,000 square feet canopy coverage.
- Landmark trees and protected Boundary trees receive extra as they count towards 1,250 square feet.
Ask the city arborist for assistance in calculating canopy coverage.
Who can apply for tree removal permit in Sandy Spring City?
Property owners, homeowners and reliable tree removal company representatives can comfortably apply for a tree removal permit.
Author: Ben McInerney – Ben is a qualified arborist with 15 plus years of industry experience in Arboriculture. He ran a successful tree service before turning to writing and publishing. Ben is dedicated to providing users with the most accurate up-to-date information on everything trees.
Hiring a Tree Surgeon Consulting Arborist Tree Limb Removal Cost Tree Services Near Me Tree Trimming Cost Guide Palm Tree Trimming Cost Guide Tree Removal Quotes Tree Removal Tampa FL Tree Removal Laws & Permits Tree Removal Cost Calculator Should Dead Trees be Cut Down? Is Tree Removal Covered by Insurance? Hiring Tree Removal Services Cost to Removal a Pine Tree Emergency Tree Removal Cost Are Leaning Trees Dangerous? Are Dead Trees Dangerous? Fallen Tree Responsibility Free Tree Removal Cost of Oak Tree Removal
Tree Services by City in GA
FEATURED AND TRUSTED BY: