Yes. No one is to cut down or remove public trees without permission from the Mayor or Municipal Council of the city of Clifton. No tree to be removed unless:
- It is located within the building footprint of a proposed principal building.
- It is located within 15 feet of any building.
- The subject tree is located between the right-of-way lines of proposed roadways.
- Dead or poses a safety hazard
- Expressly permitted to be removed in a site approval plan
- Obstructs line of site for site ingress and egress.
Do I need a permit to remove trees on private property in the city of Clifton?
Yes. To remove or cut any tree of 4 inches or more caliper at the height of four and a half feet above the ground in your property, you need to have a permit. Site clearing activities also need to be permitted.
Do I have to replace the trees I removed in the city of Clifton?
Yes. For each tree of more than 6 inches removed, you must plant a prominent tree, as defined by Clifton city code. Any tree removal that occurred in areas not permitted, each tree removed requires two replacements
City of Clifton tree permit application
The applicant is to submit to the mayor or the Municipal Council a complete application that includes;
- An original and two copies of form registration containing the applicant’s name and address, the street address, tax lot and block of the property in question, number of trees to be removed, and the reason for tree removal.
- An original and two copies of a tree removal plan. One should have a map drawn to scale, showing the exact location of the subject tree. A tree removal plan of 5 or more trees is to be prepared, signed, and sealed by a licensed land surveyor.
- An original and two copies of the tree mitigation plan. It should have a map drawn to scale, showing the location where all the trees are planted, the tree species, and the required size. The plan must be prepared, signed, and sealed by a professional engineer or any relevant expert.
The applicant has to tie a one-inch wide ribbon around each tree’s trunk to be removed at the height of four and a half feet above the ground. You have to do this for inspection purposes.
What are the charges for a tree removal permit in the city of Clifton?
The charge rate is as follows; the fee for 1 to 5 trees is $50, for 6 to 10 trees is $100, for 11 to 20 trees is $200 and for 21 to 50 trees is $300. For 51 trees and above, you’ll need to cash out $400 plus an additional $100 for every 50 trees or part thereof.
Can I appeal against any tree removal decision made by the city of Clifton?
Yes. You are to appeal within 10 days of issuance of any decision to the Municipal Council.
Are there penalties for violating the Clifton ordinance?
Yes. The court orders the offender to pay a fine not exceeding $1000 for each tree removed or damaged.
Tree Services by City in NJ
Tree Removal Newark
Tree Removal Cherry Hill
Tree Removal Piscataway
Tree Removal Bloomfield
Tree Removal Jersey City
Tree Removal Passaic
Tree Removal New Brunswick
Tree Removal West Orange
Tree Removal Paterson
Tree Removal Middletown
Tree Removal Jackson
Tree Removal Evesham Township
Tree Removal Elizabeth
Tree Removal Union City